Change of ownership for your pet

Pet owners are fully responsible and legally liable for the actions of their pets, so if you choose to give away or sell your pet to a new home you will be required to officially change the ownership of your pet.

20 Mar 2016 By Leanne Philpott Comments

It is the ‘existing’ or ‘old’ owner’s responsibility to obtain a ‘Change of Ownership’ form from the organisation or council where they registered the pet in the first place.

The Companion Animals Act 1998 specifies that changes of ownership of an animal must be notified within 14 days of the change.

If you are a new owner you should ensure that the pet is registered to you so that if it ever goes missing, you can rest assured it’ll be returned to its rightful owner. So when taking ownership of a pet, make sure you have been given a ‘Change of Ownership’ form to sign.

How to change the ownership of a pet           

To change the ownership of your pet you will need to fill in a ‘Change of Ownership’ form. The form requires the signatures of both the existing and new owner.

Depending on where the animal was initially registered, some organisations require a fee when you submit the ‘Change of Ownership’ form. This is approximately $8.

Where can I obtain a ‘Change of Ownership’ form?

The simplest way to change the ownership details for your pet is to search with your pet’s microchip number. Pet Address should re-direct you to the database or organisation that lists your pet’s microchip number.

Alternatively, you can contact directly the organisation where you initially registered your pet.

Here is a list of the main microchip registries:

The National Pet Register: visit or call 1300 734 738

The Australasian Animal Registry: visit If your pet is already registered on the AAR website and you’d like to update the details, you must fill in a ‘Change of Ownership’ form. The AAR requires the signature of both the new and the previous owner. An $8 fee applies.

Central Animal Records: visit A fee of $8.95 applies.

Home Safe ID: visit

Pet Safe: visit and click on the ‘Register a pet’ link.

If you live in New South Wales, there’s also the NSW Companion Animals Register: visit Using the search bar type in Form C3A. You can also pick up a ‘Change of Ownership’ form from your local council.

20 Mar 2016 By Leanne Philpott Comments

comments powered by Disqus